It’s a holiday weekend! Let’s celebrate my laziness and I’ll teach you how to make decadent, heart-burn inducing delicious hot dogs! These will feel gourmet, when in fact they are far from it. But look at that up there! You know you want to eat that!
So, my heart-attack dogs are inspired by a wonderful dinner I had at Tilia that was almost this exact recipe. I must give credit where credit is due. So if you are too lazy to make these dogs, head over there and try theirs. You will not be disappointed.
What you’ll need:
• Hot dogs. I like Hebrew National, but choose your favorite brand.
• Buns. Please try the potato buns. They make a huge difference!
• Mustard. I forgot to put in on the photo up there, but you’ll need a little.
• KFC coleslaw. Just go to KFC and pick some up. But! If you are like me and recently discovered that all the KFCs in the Twin Cities have closed (except for two on the opposite side of town), I found a recipe to make your own! And it’s perfect! And it’s easy! Here you go. I might make this for my Memorial Day bbq even. It’s that easy.
• Chili. If you have a chili recipe you love, use that! Believe it or not, I do not have a good chili recipe. I don’t like a lot of beans or celery in my chili (I know, I know) and I don’t have a crock pot, so it’s just nothing I’ve really tried to master. You know what I do in this case? I go to Wendy’s and buy a large chili. I AM THE LAZIEST “COOK” ALIVE.
• Radishes (they make it so pretty!)
• Fresh herbs (I like chives, but I have also used parsley or cilantro)
• Chips! I like cheese flavored chips for this one, but it’s totally up to you.
First step: Cook your dogs. I prefer to cook mine on the grill pan on the gas range so they are nice and even, but any method will work. You should also toast your bun if you’re into that.
Second step: Pile on the goods. See? Easiest recipe ever. I layer my dogs like this:
• Dog in bun
• One line of mustard
And voila! Now go impress all your friends for the holiday. Oh, and I’m not doing a calorie count on this baby. Who wants to know THAT? NO ONE. If you are eating these hot dogs, you are cheating on your diet. And that’s that.
Now! On to spring cleaning. Do you guys clean your coffee grinder? Because this is the best way to do it. I promise.